Includes the navigational theory, chart reading, course plotting , and passage planning skills required to safely navigate a recreational vessel under 65ft in coastal and inland waters. The focus of this course is to utilize passage planning basics, Navigation, and GPS Chartplotter knowledge.
This class is all skill based. We will recommend some commercially printed books but find most students learn best hands on.
None- This course is suitable for Power or Sail recreational boating. Takes approximately 10 hours of total time to complete.
NauticEd web-based eLearning Course:
- Chart terminology, Aids to Navigation (ATONS) and how to use navigation tools to plot courses
- Rules of the Road, (COLREGS) interacting with other vessels
- True north and Magnetic north
- Compass variation and deviation
- Determining your position using various techniques such as dead reckoning, running fixes, and triangulation
- How to use your current GPS position to get you to your destination
- Set and drift from wind, tides and current
- How to simply determine your heading based on Set and Drift
On the water practical instruction includes:
- Use of Navigation tools- GPS Chartplotter, parallel rules, dividers, smartphone
- Reading and use of paper charts
- Identification of Navigation aids, paper and GPS charting, and the use of a hand-bearing and ship's compass.
Enrollment: $674 per person for 12 hours of classroom instruction. Most students will want to purchase their own parallel rule and dividers but we have extras as needed. 50% deposit due at enrollment. The balance is due 30 days prior to the scheduled class start. Class size limited to 4 students.
Call for special pricing to hold this class on your boat.