NAUTICED COASTAL NAVIGATION
Includes the navigational theory, chart reading, course plotting and passage planning skills required to safely navigate a recreational vessel under 65ft in coastal and inland waters. The focus of this course is to utilize (certify) passage planning basics, Navigation and GPS Chartplotter knowledge.
Your interactive theory courses are available immediately on the first day of enrollment and future updates are free. We strongly encourage completing our theory training prior to your first lesson. We have found this to be the quickest way for you to learn navigationas you will be able to spend more time with your instructor actually developing practical skills. Completion of the pre-course assignment is essential in this class.
None- This course is suitable for Power or Sail recreational boating. Takes approximately 10 hours of total time to complete anywhere you have internet access and a browser
NauticEd web-based eLearning Course:
- Downloadable PDF file of the course is available to read offline.
- Chart terminology, Aids to Navigation (ATONS) and how to use navigation tools to plot courses
- Rules of the Road, (COLREGS) interacting with other vessels
- True north and Magnetic north
- Compass variation and deviation
- Determining your position using various techniques such as dead reckoning, running fixes and triangulation
- How to use your current GPS position to get you to your destination
- Set and drift from wind, tides and current
- How to simply determine your heading based on Set and Drift
On the water practical instruction includes:
- Use of Navigation tools- GPS Chartplotter, dividers, roller plotter, pencil, sharpener and eraser
- Reading and use of paper charts
- Identification of Navigation aids, paper and GPS charting, and the use of a hand-bearing and ship’s compass.
- Completion awards NauticEd Coastal Navigation Certification to your NauticEd Log Book.
Enrollment: $674 per person including all materials and 12 hours of classroom. 50% deposit due at enrollment. The balance is due 30 days prior to the scheduled class start. Class size limited to 4 students.
Call for special pricing to hold this class on your boat.